Thursday, May 6, 2010

Oreo Pops!

WOW - It has been busy around here. My house sold in 4 days (I thought it would take a year or so.). We packed and moved this weekend for a quick 30 day closing. We found a great condo until our house is ready for us to move-in, which by the way is July 2011. Meanwhile, I volunteered to make these yummy Oreo pops for a teacher appreciation Sweet and Salty table. I originally saw this tutorial over at How Does She and I thought I can do this! I am so glad I took on this new recipe because it was really easy for something cute and creative. This is a great treat to add to your bag of tricks. Perfect for school parties, favors, dessert tables, treats for the neighbors, etc.

Ingredients and Materials:
Oreos (any flavor)
melting chocolate (It took me 2 bags for one package of cookies.)
sprinkles
cookie icing
wax paper
sucker sticks
small treat bags
ribbon

Here are the directions and few additional pointers!

Melt the chocolate according to the directions on the package. I used chocolate made by Wilton and I thought I would be fancy and use my double boiler. However, it was much easier to melt the chocolate in the microwave. I also only bought one bag.. BIG mistake. Since this was my first try, I overheated the chocolate and it was too thick to dip the cookies. Be sure to have a bag or 2 on hand for mistakes. Once I figured it all out, I needed 2 bags for 1 package of Oreos. Next tip - Only melt a little to place the sticks. Then, go back and melt the majority of the chocolate when you are ready to dip the Oreo suckers.

Separate the Oreos and line them on a tray. You do not want the chocolate to get cold, so having these divided helps a lot. At first, I had a hard time to get the stick to remain in the middle without breaking the cookie. Here is my trick - twist the stick with the hot melted chocolate into the Oreo cream and keep twisting. This will make a bed for the stick to lay in between the layers. I had 2 sizes of sucker sticks and the longer ones worked better for my project. If you are going to place them in a vase, container, etc. you want enough stick leftover to be visible.

Gently place the cookie on top the stick and place on the wax paper to cool.

I jumped the gun and started to dip these cookies too soon! I discovered that placing them in the refrigerator for a few hours made them nice and strong.

Dip the cookies in the yummy melted chocolate and place on a piece of wax paper.

I used cookie icing to add the green stripes.

If you want to add sprinkles, be sure to do it when the chocolate is still hot.

After the suckers have cooled, package them in small clear treat bags and seal with a ribbon. I used a white flower pot and added floral foam. I covered the top with glass beads and pushed the suckers into the foam. Voila - Oreo Cookie Pops. I am sure these will make an appearance in pink and green for Cate's birthday party. We chose a flip flop summer theme for this celebration. The Sweet and Salty table of course will have cupcakes with my party circles and an amazing flip flop centerpiece. I promise to post pics and a tutorial.

5 comments:

  1. These look fabulous! I've tried this with Oreo Cakesters... it was a disaster! LOL I think I'm going to try this though for my daughter's after-school program since there are so many counselors to thank and they can take them on their way home. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looked up making candy coating and it says 6 oz chocolate chips melted with 1TBS shortening

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there, I'm wondering if these will still be fine if I don't plan to give them to my little guest to bring home until the end of the night. Will it melt??

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails